Proper preparation of your quilt top and quilt back is essential to obtaining a good result, so please read the following instructions carefully! Any preparations that you choose to have me do here (e.g. seaming backing, pressing seams, etc.) will be billed at $20/hr.
- The three layers of your quilt will be loaded on the machine independently of one another. Please do not pin or baste them together.
- The batting and backing should measure at least six inches longer and six inches wider than your quilt top. For example, if your quilt measures 60" x 80", the batting and backing should measure at least 66" x 86".
- Press seams well. Be sure the top lies flat. Ripples and puffy places will not necessarily quilt flat. Take care that the borders do not ripple and wave. Quilt will be stitched as per the way it is received, unless otherwise specified.
- The top should be free of embelishments such as buttons, beads, and crystals.
- Clip all loose threads and be sure the seams have been pressed.
- A row of stay stitching, applied ¼ inch or less from the edge of the quilt, will prevent stretching and will keep seams that extend to the edges from separating.
- If your quilt has a definite "head" and you think I might not recognize it, apply a piece of masking tape to identify it.
- If you send batting, check the package to be sure it is suitable for machine quilting. I do not stock a large batting inventory, but offer some of my favorites if you would like to purchase batting from me. It is priced according to the price list on the website. Check with me to see what's available.
- Please trim off the selvage edges before seaming your backing. Sides should be straight, and the backing squared. (A better term would be "rectangled". Your backing should have straight edges, with opposite edges parallel. Corners should be right angles.) Be aware that it is not possible to centre the top over the backing in both directions. A backing with a centre monogram, or with a border, is likely to be "off" in the final product.
- Thread used on the back side will be matched as nearly as possible to the top thread. (Top and bottom threads that contrast too much result in the appearance of specks of the opposing color.)
- Please send one yard of fabric if you would like me to cut and apply binding. I will cut 2½ inch straight grain binding. I will apply by machine to the front. If you want I will further turn, and hand stitch on the back. Corners will be mitered.
- A $50 deposit is required to begin work on your quilt. You may either include a cheque or money order (payable to As You Sew...Longarm Quilting) in your shipment, or you may use PayPal here.